Monday, July 10, 2017

ALLISON GRAYHURST



ALLISON GRAYHURST


IT IS NOT NEW
                                                                             
                                                                              to hold out a hand
and find something dead
cupped inside.
It is not love that loves
through essential compromise.
It is God we speak to
everytime we verbalize,
and God will mend even the ones
who think they're saved.
It is the cracked jaw,
the splintered bone and expressions
of boredom and greed that
disease a child's innocence.
It is how we deal with the senselessness of being
that makes us either deny or realize
a gift of spiritual wonder.
allisongrayhurst@rogers.com
www.allisongrayhurst.com





HIT THE MARK

This sunrise, rushing
from your pores, smooth and
bright as perfection
has trailed out from a loving home,
out from the endurance of a decade tattooed
to your skin.
You, under the spotlight
bearing no fractures
are as close as the bone is to the shell.
And everyone was transported, gliding
through your soliloquy like birds in
a cool spring air.
A coming together, a rejoicing of all
your struggles, the last completing thread,
magic and kindled by your spiritual voice.
Animated like silver dust on still water, you arrived.
You made the world, at last
understand and listen.
allisongrayhurst@rogers.com
www.allisongrayhurst.com





SOMEONE NEW

Change is crouching
on my back deck,
behind the pillars
and rotted wood.
Change is tossing in my womb
and giving me a bell to ring.
Like someone new to sing to,
it nicks my forehead with its
broken rhythm. Like starlight
weaving under my skin, growing,
wanting my speed,
change is alive, but small as a rice grain
forming its heavenly head.
Welcome little hamlet of wonder,
welcome from the blue breath of God.
Come see us all and turn this home
of three kindred souls into four.
allisongrayhurst@rogers.com
www.allisongrayhurst.com





MY DREAMS COME

I move and lose my frame
of ultimate freedom. Into
immobile dreams, and growing
fast are the fantastic blossoms of my mind.
As the hard core challenge
gets tucked in my socks
like a saved coin for tougher days,
I get weak with the demands on my shelf,
lazy in my intent though still I am
loved. Loved, but lost again and not at the
potential I am asked to uphold.

The sound rises in my ear. I put more
pillows under my head. I see the TV light
blind the brighter one beneath my bed.

I won’t touch the crown or the things of great seed
until my excuses and ways to crawl under
are called to task and asked by me
to permanently, irrevocably
leave.
allisongrayhurst@rogers.com
www.allisongrayhurst.com





DARK NIGHT

Can’t
stand the long drawn spike wedging
year upon year into my belly - can’t
breathe under this burden of debt
and the cold didactic sentiments of the crowd - can’t
live without some relief, some saving grace
to upload this struggle and haul it to the nearest dump - can’t
understand the ruthless actions that forsake
the existence of God and paint a false justice on each toenail
to count and display at convenient random - can’t
get my head around the hate that jettisons
into my arms because of the path
that has been laid before me - can’t
help but try to hold on to the fine threads
of my sanity, to look at love and believe that is all
that matters - can’t
keep this cast-iron anchor cuffed to my bones or take
another step in this downfall direction - can’t
think in terms of linear hopes and
just-making-it calculations

Can’t
do anything but say that I can’t
then send this confession
into the wind
allisongrayhurst@rogers.com
www.allisongrayhurst.com

ALLISON GRAYHURST

ALLISON GRAYHURST is a member of the League of Canadian Poets. Three of her poems have been nominated for Sundress Publications “Best of the Net” 2015, and she has over 1000 poems published in more than 410 international journals and anthologies. Her book Somewhere Falling was published by Beach Holme Publishers, a Porcepic Book, in Vancouver in 1995. Since then she has published twelve other books of poetry and seven collections with Edge Unlimited Publishing. Prior to the publication of Somewhere Falling she had a poetry book published, Common Dream, and four chapbooks published by The Plowman. Her poetry chapbook The River is Blind was published by Ottawa publisher above/ground press December 2012. In 2014 her chapbook Surrogate Dharma was published by Kind of a Hurricane Press, Barometric Pressures Author Series. In 2015, her book No Raft – No Ocean was published by Scars Publications. More recently, her book Make the Wind was published in 2016 by Scars Publications. As well, her book Trial and Witness – selected poems, was published in 2016 by Creative Talents Unleashed (CTU Publishing Group). She is a vegan. She lives in Toronto with her family. She also sculpts, working with clay; www.allisongrayhurst.com


No comments:

Post a Comment